Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Baby Steps

Ella's baby steps are a huge milestone. We have waited so long and worked really hard to get to this point. I cried that first night she walked across the living room. They were tears of joy, and maybe a little relief too. I was so proud of Ella. In some crazy way, I think her walking finally gave ME more strength and confidence. I think this was when I realized, wow we are working so hard and it's paying off. Now I am taking my own baby steps, not just with writing this blog, but getting involved in another incredibly important organization as well.
Hosting the March For Babies Kick Off Breakfast in Albany.

Every so often I am asked to speak at an event, attend a parade or visit a school. It comes with the territory when you are a local tv reporter. It is a fun part of the job....getting out and meeting people in the community. Earlier this year I was asked to host the March of Dimes breakfast. It's a kick-off event for the annual March for Babies. I was honored to take part and excited about becoming involved with such a wonderful organization. The March of Dimes mission is to make sure ALL babies are born healthy. http://www.marchofdimes.com/

During Ella's time in the NICU, we learned a lot about the March Of Dimes. You are flooded with information and paperwork at the hospital, but the March of Dimes helps families sort through so many different things.

I was grateful for the information and support while we were in the hospital, but I don't think I truly understood how important the work of the foundation is until I was invited to the breakfast. I had the privilege of hearing from people who have come back year after year to raise thousands of dollars. Some had heartbreaking stories about losing a baby, yet they still wanted to make a difference -- use their grief to help another family. Other people had very happy stories, healthy babies and great successes thanks to research money raised. I knew then that I wanted to do more. I guess the local organizers and I were on the same page! They asked me to be a spokesperson for the March of Dimes of Northeast New York. This fall I will begin attending events and meetings to speak to groups about the work of the March Of Dimes and explain why continued support is so critical. I have been asked to share my own story. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I know the speaking part will be natural for me, but sharing my personal experiences may prove a little more challenging....baby steps For me too I guess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment